Home
About the Parish
Liturgy Schedule
Location
Outreach
Photo Albums
History & Clergy
Catholic FAQ
Parish Library
Bells of St Paul's
Blog

History
In 1871, the first Episcopal Church services in Riverside were celebrated in the parlor of the old Riverside Hotel (present site of the Town Hall) by the Rev. Charles B. Kelly, who visited the village each week from neighboring LaGrange. Later, the non-denominational Union Chapel on Barrypoint Road (now the Riverside Presbyterian Church) was rented for Sunday services.

The mission was briefly discontinued in 1876, but reorganized within months by the Bishop of Chicago. The liturgies of St Paul's Mission continued to be celebrated in temporary rented quarters until 1882, when money was raised to begin construction of a permanent church building.

Church Construction
Renowned architect William LeBaron Jenney donated his plans for an English-style country church. Jenney was a parishioner who built the first steel-framed skyscraper and is credited with founding the "Chicago School" of architecture. Jenney's plans were approved by Bishop McLaren, who laid the cornerstone on July 2, 1883.


William LeBaron Jenney's 1883 rendering for St Paul's Church.

Construction delays arose, and it was not until September, 1887, after St Paul's Mission was canonically organized as a Parish, that building was resumed by the contractor G.W. Ashby with alterations being made to Jenney's original design of the interior.


St Paul's Parish under construction, circa 1887.

The first liturgy was celebrated in the completed church on June 24, 1888, the Feast of the Nativity of St John the Baptist. Three years later, all debts were paid and the church consecrated under the title and patronage of St Paul the Apostle on October 11, 1891.


View from east of St Paul's Parish, circa 1900.


View from southwest of St Paul's Parish, circa 1900.

Church Alterations
In 1896, the Guild Room was added to the west side of the church and served as a parish meeting room.

In 1930, the Rev. Roy B. Grobb, fifth Rector of St Paul's began the first of two extensive alterations which significantly altered the sense of the Jenney building.

The basilican interior was transformed into its present cruciform shape. Ironically, the opening of the transepts was unwittingly consistent with Jenney's original design.

The apse which formed the original sanctuary (the area now containing the platform behind the Central Altar) was razed, along with the 1896 Guild Room.

Two of the sacristy walls were removed. A platform and organ console were moved into half of the space, and a row of non-functional "display" pipes was installed to provide visual symmetry with the organ chamber on the left. Choir stalls facing each other were installed, as was the present Blessed Sacrament Altar.

The present chancel and sanctuary, sacristies, and organ chamber were added, along with the new Guild Room, Great Hall, and kitchen. At the same time, several small roof towers were removed, as was a porch on the southern side of the building.

Before his retirement in 1950, the same Rector further altered the church entrance by adding the central narthex and making a baptistry out of the former tower entrance. The church school and office wing, which stands to the west of the church, was added in 1957.

Church Restorations


The church interior.

Since 1982, some of the original function and feeling of Jenney's interior design have been restored.

The baptismal font was moved out of the tower center aisle entrance, and the tower was converted to a shrine featuring an icon of the Mother of God along with an icon of our patron, St Paul.

The organ console was moved back to its original location in the transept, and the space vacated (location of the original 1883 sacristy) was converted into a Reconciliation chapel.

A free-standing Altar was installed in the crossing of the transept. A platform for the celebrant was built behind it in the original shape of the apse. A semi-circular wing wall was built around the back of the platform to suggest the wall of the former apse, and lamps representing the seven gifts of the Holy Spirit were installed above the wall to highlight the effect.


The wing wall suggesting the wall of the former apse, and lamps representing the seven gifts of the Holy Spirit above the wall.

Grounds
In the early 1980s, restoration of the grounds was begun in the 19th-century landscape style of Riverside's designer, Frederick Law Olmsted. This was accomplished under the supervision of John Kolar, then head of the Riverside Forestry Commission. The work is now being continued under the supervision of Kurt Dreisilker, Manager of Natural Resources, Morton Arboretum, Lisle, Illinois.

Clergy

Father Thomas Fraser was ordained to the Diaconate in June 1972 by Bishop James Montgomery at St. James Cathedral in Chicago and to the Priesthood in December 1972. He was first assigned to St. Mark’s, Glen Ellyn, Illinois, from 1972-1973, then became Curate of Holy Comforter, Kenilworth, Illinois, from 1973-1975. Father Fraser became Rector of St. Paul’s Parish on February 1, 1975, and has led the parish ever since.

The Rector feels that his ministry at St. Paul’s is to help build an intentional community whose mission is to nurture and support the development and fulfillment of each person’s unique, individual, God-given vocation. The focus of his life is the regular celebration of the Eucharist. Flowing from that focus come the other areas of his ministry, which include teaching theology, pastoral care and caring for the overall life and mission of the parish community.

Father Fraser serves as president of The Living Church Foundation, an independent media organization which publishes the Living Church, the oldest independent publication of the Episcopal Church. He also serves as executive director of the St. Paul’s Community Services Foundation, and is Warden of the Chicago branch of the Order of St Anne.

Father Fraser comes from a family where travel was valued as an important part of one’s education, and he has visited all seven continents — including Antarctica. He also enjoys contemporary film, reads non-fiction about the history of espionage, and adores basset hounds, but sadly, is allergic to dogs.


Father Richard Daly, SSC was ordained by Bishop William L. Stevens to the diaconate at St Paul's Cathedral in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, on December 1, 1990, and to the priesthood on June 14, 1991, at Trinity Church, Wauwatosa, Wisconsin. From 1990 to 1991, Fr Daly served as the deacon assistance at St Anskar's, Hartland, Wisc.; curate at Trinity Church from 1991 to 1993; rector of St Peter's Church, Sheboygan Falls, Wisc.; and rector of St Stephen's Church, Sherman, Tex 1996-1998. Dr Daly maintains canonical residence as priest in the Diocese of Dallas.

Prior to serving as the Parochial Vicar of St Paul's Parish, Fr Daly has done extended supply ministry in the Diocese of Chicago. He served as the interim priest at St Raphael the Archangel from 1999 to 2001. Fr Daly was invited by the rector, Fr Fraser, to assist at St Paul's in 2002 in whatever capacity his time would allow. Not that long ago, Fr Fraser asked him if he would be willing to serve as the Parochial Vicar to offer spiritual assistance to members of Our Lady of Walsingham congregation. Fr Daly also is delighted to be of service to the entire worshiping community at St Paul's.

The initials "SSC" after his name signify that he is a priest in the Anglican Society of the Holy Cross, or Societas Sanctus Crucis. The purpose of the society is to provide a rule of life for the priest members whereby they place themselves under the disciple of Christ's Cross. As an SSC priest, Fr Daly endeavors to promote unity among Catholic Christians; offer the Mass daily, or if not able to offer the Mass daily, make a daily spiritual act of communion; and foster and teach Christ's faithful to have a great love for Christ, His Church and the Sacraments, particularly the Sacrament of the Holy Eucharist.

Over the years, Fr Daly has ministered with the homeless, addicted individuals, battered women, and various community food pantries/kitchens. He has been a spiritual director and a teacher. He is a graduate of Nashotah House Theological Seminary and was working on his doctorate in pastoral psychology when he took time out of his studies to raise three girls. Fr Daly's wife, Diana, is a member of St Paul's Parish, as well.


St Paul’s Parish | parishoffice@stpaulsparish.org | (708) 447-1604
60 Akenside Road, Riverside, Illinois 60546